What Can Tenants do to Improve the Energy Efficiency of a Rented Property?

What Can Tenants do to Improve the Energy Efficiency of a Rented Property?

When renting a house, you often feel that you are unable to do anything to change the house into a more efficient property, but below are some cheap changes that you can make to help improve your households’ efficiency.

Get the house insulated

A lot of people think they cannot benefit from the free insulation scheme because they rent their property, this isn’t true. All you need is the permission of your landlord. Though this might sound like a daunting task, its’ really not. Insulating the loft can take around 2 hours and the wall insulation can again take around 2-3 hours to complete by a professional. Both of these instantly make a difference to your house and reduce the escaping heat and energy bills.

Change appliances

This could be a tricky one if the appliances aren’t yours, but the landlords. However, if you have your own appliances, check their energy rating. The energy-hungry appliances that you may want to look at first are electric cookers and tumble dryers.

Switch energy providers

If you pay your energy bills directly to an energy supplier, then you have the right to change your supplier whenever you like. Make sure you shop around to try and find the best deal for you, and if you do this correctly, you can save a considerable amount a month on your bills. If the landlord pays, you could have a chat and try and see if they can swap the tariff to a cheaper option.

Energy saving light bulbs

By changing your light bulbs to LED, you can save a huge amount of money each year, and they can last anywhere from 20-25 years.

Placing reflective panels behind your radiators

This particular energy saving method prevents the heat produced by the radiators escaping through the walls. By using the reflective panels, it means that the heat is directed back into the room, heating it up quicker. You can simply buy these or craft them yourself with cardboard and foil, and if you move out, you can take them with you.

Get plastic double glazing

If you move into a rented property where the windows are still single glazed, it’s unlikely that the landlord wants to pay hundreds of pounds to replace these. As an alternative you could purchase a secondary plastic glazing kit, this may not give the efficiency of double glazing, but it does improve the thermal performance for a fraction of the cost.

Remove draughts

While major draught changes cannot be done without the landlords’ consent, you have the right to make “reasonable changes” as long as you the landlords’ permission. Most will be happy for you to fit simple draught excluders around your doors and letterbox, fill gaps under skirting boards and so on.