Energy Efficient Gadgets That Can Further Increase Your Energy Saving

Energy Efficient Gadgets That Can Further Increase Your Energy Saving

There are many ways to reduce your energy bills, this could be through using insulation, going off grid and using solar/wind energy. In this blog, we’ll be looking at the gadget side of energy efficiency and how they can save you even more money.

  • Smart energy strips

Have you looked around your home for any phantom loads? Phantom loads are appliances that draw energy from plug sockets when they’re plugged in, but not in use. It’s estimated that in the average UK household, by unplugging phantom loaded appliances or switching to a smart energy strip, you can save 10% yearly on your energy bills.

  • LED lights

Compared to LED lights, incandescent bulbs convert 90% of the electricity provided into heat, leaving 10% to light a room. You can save your money by switching to LED lights which are way cooler and more energy efficient. Whilst they do cost slightly more than incandescent bulbs, the price has dropped considerably over the past few years, and they now last 10-25 times longer, meaning you save up to £60 over its lifetime on your electricity bill.

  • Highly-efficient showerheads

Did you know that per minute, an average showerhead uses anywhere between 2.0-3.0 gallons. However, by changing your showerhead to a more efficient alternative, you could save you money on your water bill. Dependent on the showerhead, you could reduce your water usage per shower by 20%.

  • Smart Thermostats

By using a smart thermostat, it allows you to control your central heating even when you’re not at home. Most smart thermostats now have an app accompanied to them, meaning you can adjust everything through your smartphone or laptop. So instead of leaving your heating on all day for when you come home, you can turn it on 10 minutes before you arrive home and save yourself money on your energy bills. Or if you’re going away for a few days and forgot to turn your heating off, it can now be done through your smart phone.